LEAH receives referrals from many different local organisations. If you know somebody who you think would benefit from being paired with a LEAH volunteer tutor, please refer to the criteria below and check their eligibility.
Once a referral form has been received, a member of LEAH staff will contact the potential student and arrange to visit them and assess their needs. They will be paired with a tutor as soon as an appropriate one becomes available.
What does LEAH provide for its students?
Volunteer tutors to provide weekly 1:1 English lessons in the student's own home; short courses in community venues; individual support.
Who can be a student with LEAH?
Residents of Kingston-upon-Thames and Richmond-upon-Thames.
What are our criteria?
People who cannot attend classes because:
▪ They have a young child/children at home
▪ There are cultural reasons for not attending classes.
▪ They have serious mobility or health problems preventing them from going out to a class.
▪ They are carers who cannot leave home because of their caring duties.
▪ They need help to communicate their everyday needs in English such as making a doctor's appointment.
▪ They feel socially isolated and lack confidence to go out alone.
▪ They are ineligible for fee-reduction because of their immigration status.
Priority is given to people with very little or no spoken English.
LEAH relies on volunteer tutors, and make every effort to find a suitable tutor as soon as possible. However, there is usually a waiting list. Where appropriate people are referred on to a further agency.
Please note that in exceptional circumstances, Learn English at Home may not be able to provide a tutor.
If you would like to refer someone to LEAH, please download and complete a referral form with as much detail as possible about the person you are referring. Please note that LEAH may need to contact you to find out more about a referral so your own contact details and other relevant information should also be included on the form.
Please send completed referral forms to Learn English at Home, Siddeley House, 50 Canbury Park Road, Kingston, KT2 6LX.
Alternatively, referrals can be made by telephoning the LEAH office on 020 8255 6144.