On the day the London marathon was due to take place we are delighted that our 2.6 challengers have raised over £3,000 for LEAH! We wanted to say a huge thank you to everyone who donated to the campaign as our services are needed more than ever.
Our wonderful marathon runner Andrew Daniels took part in his own challenge by running a ‘socially distanced marathon’ and you can find out more and fundraise for him via his Virgin Money Giving Page.
There is still time to donate to our fundraisers and you can still undertake your own 2.6 challenge for LEAH.
We’re particularly concerned at LEAH because people living in low-income communities, particularly migrants and refugees who don’t speak English, are especially vulnerable during emergencies. Our clients often struggle to make a GP appointment and, for many, home-schooling will be very challenging during these times.
We know the life changing difference having a tutor to provide English language support during the crisis and in the future can make for our clients. Having someone to focus on your particular language needs, provides a vital chance to feel more confident and able to fully integrate into society.
So, it’s vital that our work continues to ensure that non-native English speakers are not left behind. We’re asking you to take part in an activity of your choice based around the numbers 2.6 or 26 and fundraise or donate to support Learn English At Home via twopointsixchallenge.co.uk
People of all ages are taking on The 2.6 Challenge with a host of activities. There are many ways to get involved and as an education charity, we’ve got a few ideas ourselves:
- Learn how to say “thank you” in 26 languages (to help you we’ve provided a list of 50 languages here)
- Write a story using only 26 words
- Read 26 books
The only requirement is that you must follow Government guidelines on exercise and social distancing. Most people are taking part from Sunday 26 April but you can do your activity whenever is most convenient for you.
There are just five simple steps to take:
- Dream up your 2.6 challenge – if you need help there are lots of ideas here
- Head to twopointsixchallenge.co.uk to set up a fundraising page for Learn English at Home (Via the Virgin Money Giving site). (You will need to search for Learn English at Home to select us)
- Ask all your friends and family to sponsor you and challenge them to do their own 2.6 Challenge
- Complete your challenge
- Share a photo or video of your challenge on social media with #TwoPointSixChallenge
(Alternatively if you would just like to donate directly you can donate straight to LEAH here)
We hope you’ll join the nation in The 2.6 Challenge to support Learn English At Home and help to save the UK’s charities.