Image credit - CC Alpha Stock Images - http://alphastockimages.com/
The results are in: Annual volunteer and client survey
'They are amazing, they are helping me so much to improve my English' (LEAH client)
A huge thank you to all of our volunteers who took part in LEAH's annual volunteer survey and who supported their clients to take part. It's so important to us to hear your views on what we do, and we are thrilled that both surveys show overwhelming support for LEAH's work and demonstrate the difference we make in people's lives.
What our clients told us:
- 79% of our clients completing the survey say that LEAH has changed their lives a lot or quite a lot
- 80% say LEAH has helped them with their English a lot or quite a lot, and that support from LEAH has specifically helped them to: speak to their GP or health visitor (75%); use public transport (65%); go shopping (65%); and be more independent (60%)
- Along with learning English, 59% of our clients would like also to have opportunities to improve their skills (for example parenting, caring, children's education and health awareness), and 53% would like opportunities to get more involved in activities that interest them (such as cooking, arts and crafts and exercise)
Some highlights from our volunteer survey:
- 69% of our volunteers feel very well supported by LEAH, and 92% feel well or very well supported
- 100% of volunteers found the LEAH training course helpful in their volunteer role, and the next most useful forms of support for volunteers were: support from LEAH Coordinators (79%); their own research and preparation (77%); and resources provided by LEAH (71%)
- Our volunteers feel that they benefit from volunteering with LEAH in different ways: 89% say they have a greater awareness of the challenges facing different groups in the community; 85% learned a new skill; 65% have a greater sense of involvement in the local community; and 65% made new friends
- 85% of LEAH volunteers can really see the need for LEAH's work in their local community
- And many of our volunteers are happy to give even more of their time and experience to LEAH: 47% are interested in also assisting at a community class and 78% would be willing to buddy a new volunteer
We use our surveys to inform our planning, and the full survey results will feed into our 2019-21 strategic plan, currently on the drawing board.
For example, both our volunteers and clients told us there's a need for more classes that bring together language learning with other activities, and many of our volunteers said they'd like to be more involved with LEAH in different ways.
These and other suggestions give us an important steer in planning our services for the future to meet the needs of our clients and support our volunteers...watch this space!